Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Knock

The Master came one night to the door, and knocked with the iron hand of the law; the door shook and trembled upon its hinges. But the man piled every piece of furniture which he could find against the door, for he said, "I will not admit that man."

The Master turned away, but by-and-by He came back, and with His own soft hand, using most that part where the nail had penetrated, He knocked again -- oh, so softly and tenderly.

This time the door did not shake, but, strange to say, it opened, and there upon his knees the once unwilling host was found rejoicing to receive his guest!

“Come in, come in; you have so knocked that my affections are moved for you. I could not think of your pierced hand leaving its blood mark on my door. I yield, I yield, Your love has won my heart.”

So in every case, the love of Christ wins the day. What Moses with the tablets of stone could never do, Christ does with His pierced hand!

Such is the doctrine of effectual calling. Do I understand it experimentally?


[Charles H. Spurgeon]






Jeremiah 31:3 ...  The Lord hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.


2 Timothy 1:9 ... Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,


Revelation 3:20 ... Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. ❤