Sunday, August 24, 2014

Thoughts of God

The thoughts of a great man on earth; how valued! With what feelings then, shall we ponder the thoughts of God! We treasure the thoughts of the wise and the good for their own sake  but how is their value enhanced when they are personal, and have a special reference to ourselves? These "Thoughts of God," are thoughts toward us. "I know the thoughts that I think towards you." "Your thoughts which are to us." "How precious also are Your thoughts unto me, O God."



We peruse with additional interest the diary, the recorded thoughts  of those with whom, while living, we interchanged hallowed friendship, and whose regard and love we had been privileged to enjoy. In opening the "Divine Diary"  unfolding the Divine Thoughts as these are recorded in Sacred Scripture  we have the elevating assurance, "this Great Being loves ME, pities me,  carries me on His heart!" If it is consoling to be much in the thoughts of a revered earthly friend, then what must it be to occupy the thoughts of ONE, better than the best, more loving than the most loving human relative?



An earthly father writes his son in a distant land, 'You are never absent from my thoughts.' Such, too, is the comforting declaration of our Father in Heaven. The humblest and loneliest of His children on earth can say, "I am poor and needy, yet the Lord thinks upon me!"
 
[John MacDuff]
 
 
 
 
 
Psalm 139:17-18 ... How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!  If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.


Psalm 40:5 ... Many, O Lord my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered.


Jeremiah 29:11 ... For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.