Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The Sin of Idolatry

There is much danger lest I should fall into the same sin of idolatry.  Idolatry is as prevalent today as well as yesterday.  It is as prevalent in Christendom, no less than in heathendom.

There are the idols of wood and stone. Lurking in my heart I find too strong a sympathy with the grosser forms of evil; untold possibilities of heinous sin are within me still. But these impure gods must go!

There are the idols of silver and gold. I pay an undue deference to fashion and wealth. I covet a high position and a place among the prominent ones of the earth. But these gods too must be dethroned!

There are the carved images. I may easily be beguiled by my regard for the culture and arts of the world. Contagion and poison haunt its literature, its arts, its amusement. At whatever cost, these deities must be cast out!

There are the molten images. Sudden fires of appetite, swift flames of temptation, leap up within me; and before I know, I may be overcome by them. These powers of darkness must be conquered in a heavenlier strength than my own!

There are the teraphim, the idols made in the likeness of men. I am in peril of exalting friends, wife, children, to the seat which Jesus Christ alone should occupy. My dearest idol must be thrown down, and He must be Lord of all.

May Zinzendorf s motto be mine: "I have one passion, and it is Jesus, Jesus only!"

[Alexander Smellie]


 

 




2 Kings 17:12 ... For they served idols, whereof the Lord had said unto them, Ye shall not do this thing.


Ezekiel 14:4 ...  Therefore speak unto them, and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; Every man of the house of Israel that setteth up his idols in his heart, and putteth the stumblingblock of his iniquity before his face, and cometh to the prophet; I the Lord will answer him that cometh according to the multitude of his idols;



Ezekiel 20:16 ...  Because they despised my judgments, and walked not in my statutes, but polluted my sabbaths: for their heart went after their idols.


1 Corinthians 10:14 ...  Wherefore, my dearly beloved, flee from idolatry.❤