Friday, November 27, 2015

Desire of The Soul

What do you desire, O my soul? With what imaginable excellency would you clothe yourself! What desirable object would you pitch upon?


Is it beauty? The righteous shall shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. So shall they be forever with the Lord.


Is it riches? Wealth and riches are the portion of all God's children; every one in His family shall have a rich, a glorious, an incorruptible, and eternal inheritance among the saints!


Is it honor? What honor can compare to this to be a friend and favorite of God, and a spouse of Christ to have a crown of righteousness, of life, and of glory! Nay more, a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory set upon your head!


Is it pleasure? The just shall enter into their Master's joy, and there are rivers of pleasure at God's right hand for evermore!


In a word, what would you have, O my soul? A confluence of all the glorious things of eternity?


If heaven, and the holiness thereof are what you seek; then heaven and the excellences thereof you shall find!


Lord, make me holy, then I shall be happy!


[Thomas Sherman]




Matthew 13:43 ... Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.


1 Peter 1:4 ... To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,


2 Timothy 4:8 ... Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.


Psalm 16:11 ... Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.



Psalm 73:25-26 ... Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee. My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.❤