Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Thirst Again?

All creature and 'created good' is inadequate of itself to satisfy the yearnings of the human soul. In every breast there is a craving after happiness. "Who will show us any good?" is the sigh, the soliloquy, of weary humanity. There are many streams of 'created' enjoyment. Some of these lawful, innocent, exhilarating, which have the blessing and favor of God resting upon them.  Others are poor, vile, degraded, unworthy. But even the best and purest, viewed by themselves and apart from God, can afford no permanent bliss or satisfaction.


They do not, cannot quench the immortal thirst. Pitcher after pitcher may be brought to the well's mouth; the golden goblet of riches; the jeweled flagon with the luscious draught of earthly glory; or the brimming transparent pitcher drawn up by the silken cord of human affection. But He who knows the human heart pronounces, that "thirst again" is the property and characteristic of them all. The finite can never be a satisfying portion for that which was born for the infinite. Satisfying portion?


Philosophy, with its eagle soarings, says, "It is not in me!" The pride of rank, crowns and coronets, and lordly titles, says, "It is not in me!" The laurel of conquest, as it withers on the warrior's brow, says, "It is not in me!" Gold, with its glittering heaps, laughs its votaries to scorn, and says, "It is not in me!"

Jesus does not condemn many of these worldly streams of innocent pleasure, or forbid their being resorted to. He who knows our frame would lay no cruel arrest on many objects of lawful earthly pursuit; the many wells of earthly happiness. All He says of them is, "If you restrict your happiness to these, you will not be satisfied; you will assuredly thirst again. The well of living waters that I tell you of, is more far lasting than all earthly sources of supply."


[John MacDuff]


  ✞✞



John 4:13-14 ... Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again: But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.


John 6:35 ... And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.


Revelation 21:6 ... And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.❤