Thursday, February 13, 2014

The Eye of God

God's perfect knowledge, is like the pillar-cloud which led Israel out of Egypt, and through the wilderness: it is dark and a cause of terror to His enemies, but it is light and a source of comfort to His children.

"O Lord, You know" my SINS and FOLLIES! No one else does. No one else ever will. How could I look anyone in the face, if I thought he knew what was passing in my heart, or what is transacted in the chambers of my imagination within!

The Lord alone can search the heart. He alone knows the worst of us; and He alone knows the best; for the best and the worst, are both concealed in the same heart. The eye of God sees every motive, every thought, every lust,
every action!

His eye is on that mysterious portion of our nature, called the imagination, on which such strange pictures are often painted, in which such fearful scenes are sometimes transacted.
 
What streams of moral filthiness sometimes flow from the heart into the imagination! How difficult sometimes to keep it back.  What a depth of pollution there is within us! What billows of corruption sometimes roll and swell!

Little does the young Christian think — what the pure and holy eye of God sees within him; and what his own eye will one day discover, filling him with alarm, if not with horror, with shame and self-loathing! Then he will enter into poor Job's confession, "Behold, I am vile!" and into Isaiah's exclamation,
"Woe is me! I am undone!"


But blessed be God, the righteousness of Jesus covers all and conceals all; and the grace and Spirit of God will ultimately purge away the whole foul heap from us!

Now our iniquities are forgiven, and our sins are covered; but then our natures will be perfectly purified, and be as white as the falling snow!

 

[James Smith]

✞✞✞


2 Samuel 7:20 ... And what can David say more unto thee? for thou, Lord God, knowest thy servant.


1 Chronicles 28:9 ... And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the Lord searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever.


Revelation 2:23 ... And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.
 
 
Psalm 139:1-2 ... O lord, thou hast searched me, and known me. Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.