Monday, October 6, 2014

You Take The Goods

The rattle without the breast, will not satisfy the child, the house without the husband, will not satisfy the wife, the cabinet without the jewel, will not satisfy the maiden, nor will the world without Christ, satisfy the soul.

The hungry soul will not be put off with any bread but with the bread of life; the thirsty soul will not be put off with any water but with the wellsprings of life.

As the king of Sodom said once, "You take the goods, give me the people," (Genesis 14:21.) Just so, says the hungry soul, "You take the goods; take your honors, and riches, and the favor of creatures, take the grain, the oil, and the wine; give me Christ, give me the light of His countenance, give me the joy of His Spirit."

[Thomas Brooks]


  ✞✞✞


Psalm 42:1-2 ... As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
 
 
Matthew 5:6 ... Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
 
 
John 6:35 ... And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.