Thursday, August 27, 2015

Afflictions of the Godly

Psalm 119:67 ...  Before I was afflicted I went astray: but now have I kept thy word.✟


Psalm 119:71 ...  It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes.✟


Psalm 119:75 ... I know, O
Lord, that thy judgments are right, and that thou in faithfulness hast afflicted me. ✟




 photo window_zpsvimsk2sw.jpg


We link these three verses together because they treat of the same subject, namely the attitude of the heart of one who had been afflicted by God. Each of them breathes the language of a gracious soul, and not that of a natural man. Each of them acknowledges the beneficial effects of sanctified trials. Each of them evidences a humble heart, for so far from murmuring at God's dispensations, unpleasant though they be to flesh and blood, there is a grateful acknowledgment of their benevolent design. Each of them is a confession made not while smarting under the rod but after it has done its appointed work.

[A.W. Pink]