Sunday, July 24, 2011

Look Up!

“Can you climb?” a captain asked a sailor boy soon after taking him out in his ship. The boy determined to show the captain that he was an able sailor, and began climbing the mast.

The poor boy began to feel dizzy as he went higher and higher. He looked down and saw the dark waters swirling around the ship. Finally, clinging tightly to the mast, he called out, “Sir, I think I’m going to fall!”

“Look up, my boy!” shouted the captain encouragingly.

The boy obeyed. He looked away from the waters below, and successfully made it to the crow’s nest.

So it is with believers. When they look down, and see the waves, they fear; or, like Peter, they begin to sink. (Matthew 14: 28-31)

But when they “look up,” and keep their eyes fixed on Jesus, the difficulty is overcome.

[Adapted from Sermon Illustrations by Lion Foster]





Psalm 121:1 … I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.

Psalm 141:8 … But mine eyes are unto thee, O GOD the Lord: in thee is my trust; leave not my soul destitute.

Hebrews 12:2 … Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Luke 21:28 … And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. ♥