Thursday, May 30, 2013

Not Ashamed of Christ


As I sit in my pew during church,  It's easy to agree with what's said;
To repeat "Amen" and "Praise the Lord." Or simply agree, by a nod of the head.

Yet, leaving the church building, 
My resolve just melts away.
What did cause my withdrawing?  Why was I in such a fray?

I thought I had all I needed to fulfill the great commission.
But instead, working by myself was a cause for a great omission.

I was ashamed of my Lord that day - And, oh, how many times in between -
I have denied the one who bought me, As I perform my daily routine.

The boldness I needed so badly, Was surely lacking from my effort.
I hadn't the strength to sustain me; In my spirit there was no comfort

As I feasted on God's Word at home, I read of the Apostles' boldness.
And saw God's power, and not their own, Was the reason for their adeptness.

I saw how spending time with Jesus was what wrought such great victory:
Power to boldly speak forth God's Word, Regardless of government decree.

How I need to get alone with God, And beseech Him for His power.
Without the strength He alone gives, I can't live for Him even an hour.

I don't want to be ashamed of Christ -The one who gave His all for me -
I want to live for Him day by day! I want that great victory!

Going forth, but not on a whim, To go out boldly and to proclaim;
Spending my life witnessing for Him, That eternal life, others may gain.

So day by day, as I seek to please, The one who died and rose for me,
I must spend time with Christ my Lord, If not ashamed of Him, I am to be.



[Angela Trenholm 2003]





Romans 1:16 ...  For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Hebrews 13:6 ...   So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

Ephesians 6:19 ...  And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel,

Philippians 1:20 ... According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death.❤