Thursday, July 31, 2014

Little Savages

Remember that children are born with a decided bias toward evil, and therefore if you let them choose for themselves, they are certain to choose wrong.  The mother cannot tell what her tender infant may grow up to be; tall or short, weak or strong, wise or foolish; all is uncertain.  But one thing the mother can say with certainty, he will have a corrupt and sinful heart!  It is natural for us to do wrong.  Our hearts are like the earth on which we tread, let it alone, and it is sure to bear weeds!

[J.C. Ryle]




Psalm 51:5 ... Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

Genesis 8:21 ... And the Lord smelled a sweet savour; and the Lord said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

Jeremiah 17:9 ... The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?