Saturday, February 28, 2015

I Am Astonished

1 John 4:19 ... We love him, because he first loved us.  ❤




O bottomless Fountain of all good,  I am astonished at the difference between my receiving and my deservings, between the state I am now in and my past gracelessness,  between the heaven I am bound for and the hell I merit.

Who made me to differ, but You? I could not have begun to love You, had You not first loved me.  O Lord, I am astonished that such a crown should fit the head of such a sinner!  Such high advancement be for an unfruitful person!  Such joys for so vile a rebel!

Let 'wrath deserved' be written on the door of hell,  but the 'free gift of grace' on the gate of heaven! Let Your love draw me nearer to Yourself. Wean   me from sin, mortify me to this world, and make me ready for my departure hence. Secure me by Your grace as I sail across this stormy sea.

 [A Puritan Prayer]