Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Three Pages

I have read of a godly man who was once very dissolute. When converted, his former companions sought to bring him back to his former wicked courses. But he told them, "I am deeply engaged in meditating on a little book, which contains only three pages; so at present I have no time for other business."


Sometime after, being asked if he had finished his book, he replied, "No; for though it contains only three pages, yet there is so much comprised in them, that I have devoted myself to read therein, all the days of my life.


The first page is red. Here I mediate on the sufferings of my Lord and Savior, His shedding His precious blood, as an atonement for my sins, and a ransom for my soul, without which I must have been a damned sinner in hell, to all eternity!


The second page is white. This cheers my heart with the wonderful consideration of the unspeakable joys of heaven obtained for me by Christ and of being forever with Him!


The third page is black. Here I think of the horrible state of the damned and the perpetual torments they are suffering in hell. O this excites thankfulness to my Savior, for His wonderful love and rich grace, in snatching me as a brand out of hell-fire, and saving me from eternal destructions!"


Here is a good man, a good book, and a good example for you and I. "Let us go and do likewise." Constantly meditate upon Christ; upon the wrath He has saved us from and the glory He has saved us to!

[William Mason]

  ✞✞
 


Matthew 26:28 ... For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.



Hebrews 9:12 ... Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.



Romans 5:9 ...  Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.❤