Monday, August 22, 2016

The Art of Divine Contentment

Contentment sweetens every condition. Christ turned the water into wine. Just so, contentment turns the bitter waters of Marah, into spiritual wine.  Contentment is a flower which does not grow in every garden. You would think it were excellent, if I could prescribe a remedy or antidote against poverty. Behold, here is that which is more excellent for a man to be poor, and yet have enough! Contentment teaches a man how to abound in the midst of poverty!

Have I but little? Yet it is more than I deserve. Do I meet with some crosses? My comfort is, if they are heavy I have not far to go!  My cross is light in comparison with the weight of glory.  Has God taken away my comforts from me? It is well, the Comforter still abides with me. Thus contentment, as a honeycomb, drops sweetness into every condition.

[Thomas Watson]







Philippians 4:11-12 ... Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.  I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.



Hebrews 13:5 ... Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.


1 Timothy 6:6 ... But godliness with contentment is great gain.❤