Sunday, September 11, 2016

He Cannot Err and He Cannot Be Unkind

When great sorrows came upon righteous Job, he did not complain. There was no word of rebellion against God, when messenger after messenger brought tidings of evil. All his property lost, his servants slain, his sons dead! Yet the good man did not sin, nor charge God foolishly. Dark and mysterious was the painful visitation. Why sore distress came to his house, and grievous sickness to himself, he could not understand. But, out of the depths arose the word of trust; in the midst of his woe, and pain, and loneliness, the bereaved and sorely stricken soul felt that affliction was the Divine messenger. Job received his burdens from the hand of God.


We, for whose comfort Job’s experience was written, know how it was that the patriarch was afflicted. There was a purpose to be fulfilled, an end to be brought about. We learn that however mysterious our sufferings may be, they are not sent without a wise and loving purpose. Afflictions may be mysterious but never purposeless.  Oh, for faith to realize that all my troubles come to me in mercy! He cannot err and He cannot be unkind! And as I read the Holy Scriptures, may I see how true this verse is, “All whom the Lord loves, He chastens.” So may I learn to take up my cross and to endure the trials of my lot. And if I am to be an example of suffering affliction, then may God’s will be done, in His way and in His time!


[William Purton]


✞✞✞



Job 1:21-22 ... And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LordIn all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.


Hebrews 12:6 ... For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.



2 Corinthians 4:17 ... For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;❤