Tuesday, December 20, 2016

As Filthy As a Priest's Ear!

Do you ask, "To whom shall I confess my sins?" Do not come to me with your confession. Oh no, no, no! I could not stand that!


I can never understand how a "Catholic priest" can ask people to confess their sins to him. I would not make my ear into a common sewer, for all the wealth in the world! What foulness must there be on the soul of him who has heard the sins that others have committed, and who knows what sin he has himself committed!


Sin, when we see what it really is, whether in ourselves or in others, horrifies us!


There is an old proverb about a thing being "as filthy as a priest's ear!" I cannot imagine anything dirtier than that, and I have no wish to be a partaker in the filthiness.


Go to God and confess your sin to Him; pour out your heart's sad story in the ear of Him against whom you have offended! Say with David, "Against You, You only, have I sinned and done this evil in Your sight!"


[Charles H. Spurgeon]


✞✞✞





Matthew 23:9 ... And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.


Acts 3:19 ... Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.



Isaiah 1:18 ... Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.❤