Thursday, July 6, 2017

He Who Gave

Believers are free from condemnation but not free from pain, sickness, poverty, losses, crosses, sudden trying changes, and what we call premature death. These trials give occasion for the exercise and manifestation of many graces which are not so visible in the sunshine of prosperity. Our trials are further sanctified, to wean the people of God more from the world, and to weaken the body of sin which still dwells in them.


He who gave has an undoubted right to take away. We are sure that His sovereignty is combined with His infinite wisdom and goodness and that, when He crosses our wishes, no less than when He grants them, He does all things well! He does not afflict without a need-be neither will He permit a trial to continue longer than is necessary. Be still, my soul, and know that He is God!


You are in the best hands and I leave you with Him who loves you and will make all things work for your final benefit.


Oh, the mercy to be enabled to trust ourselves and those whom we love to Him, and to see them confiding in Him likewise and resigned to His wise disposal. This all-sufficient God can and does make His people more than equal to any and every trial He appoints for them.


But I am a poor creature and am daily learning that without Him I can do nothing.


[John Newton]


✞✞✞


Job 1:21 ... And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.


Romans 8:1 ... There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.


John 15:5 ... I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.❤