Monday, January 22, 2018

A Lion in Town

Last week we had a lion in town. I went to see him. He was astonishingly tame as friendly with his keeper, and as docile and obedient as a pet dog. Yet the man told me he had his surly fits, when they dared not go near him.


No looking-glass could show my face more justly than this lion shows my heart! I could trace every feature as wild and fierce by nature; yes, much more so but grace has in some measure tamed me.

I know and love my Keeper, and sometimes watch His looks that I may learn His will. But, oh! I have my surly fits too! Seasons when I relapse into the savage again, as though I had forgotten all.


[John Newton]

✞ 



Jeremiah 3:22 ... Return, ye backsliding children, and I will heal your backslidings. Behold, we come unto thee; for thou art the Lord our God.



Jeremiah 14:7 ... O Lord, though our iniquities testify against us, do thou it for thy name's sake: for our backslidings are many; we have sinned against thee.



Hosea 14:4 ... I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely: for mine anger is turned away from him.