Saturday, July 27, 2024

The True Spiritual Atlas!

Mark, it is soul-suffering that is the essence of Jesus' anguish. "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even unto death." That 'cup' was filled to the brim with curses! His holy soul was like a vast reservoir, into which the transgressions of every elect child of Adam rushed from every age, demanding payment for sin. He was filled with horror and deep distress at the fearful havoc which sin had wrought, and at its dreadful penalty, which He was now bearing. 

The wrath of God, the horrendous manifestation of His displeasure at iniquity, was upon Jesus! He was the true spiritual Atlas, bearing on His shoulders, the sins of a guilty world. Jesus' sufferings were not calamities. They were a judicial punishment inflicted on Him by His Father for the sins of His people. There was an eternity of woe, condensed into His sufferings and sin-atoning death. Christ was the Sin-Bearer, bearing not merely the guilt and punishment of sin, but sin itself. 

 [John MacDuff] 

✞ ✞ ✞ 

Isaiah 53:5 ... But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

Galatians 2:20 ...  I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Ephesians 5:2 ... And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.