Monday, August 12, 2024

Peaceful Sleep

David looked above circumstances to his God. He may have to lie in the open field, or in the cleft of the rock, exposed to ravenous beasts, or to more ravenous men; but he would lie down in peace, and sleep for he knew that safety is of the Lord. "He gives his beloved sleep." 

How many this night will be kept awake, by pain, or by nervous fears, or watching by the bedside of the sick or dying or waiting for the return of absent relatives or friends! How much anxiety, and fear, and pain, will be experienced this night by thousands of the Lord's people! But as for me, favored by a gracious providence, comforted with the sense of the presence of my God, and persuaded of my saving interest in his precious promises I will both lie down and sleep in peace, persuaded that my heavenly Father will watch beside my pillow, and keep me safe. 

Omnipresent God, my soul confides in you! I lay me down tonight as in your presence, to sleep as beneath your eye. May my sleep be peaceful, and my repose refreshing and sweet. Let my exhausted energies be renewed. Let my person and property be kept safely. And in the morning, let me awake realizing your presence, assured of your love, and enjoying your paternal smile. 

How many nights, have you kept me safely! With how many mercies, have you crowned my lot! For these favors I bless you and praise your glorious name. And now, relying on the atoning blood of your Son Jesus, as savingly invested with his glorious righteousness, and as accepted in your presence through him I enjoy peace. And with peace in my conscience, at peace with you and all your creatures, I lay me down and sleep. 

[James Smith] 


Psalm 4:8 ... I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.

Proverbs 3:24-26 ...When thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid: yea, thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet. Be not afraid of sudden fear, neither of the desolation of the wicked, when it cometh. For the Lord shall be thy confidence, and shall keep thy foot from being taken.