Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Morning Devotion

The habit of early rising is surely a friend to the soul. If it is the best time for study, it is also the best time for devotion. When prayer and praise are neglected in the morning, they are commonly neglected all day. If you let the world get the start of your soul in the morning, you will seldom overtake it all day.


Morning devotion sweetens every succeeding hour, pours a balm on the conscience,  gives a pleasant savor to business,  locks the door against wicked thoughts,  furnishes matter for pious reflection all the day.


It is better to go from prayer to business than from business to prayer. Fellowship with God prepares for fellowship with our fellow creatures and for every event, whether pleasing or painful.


[James Alexander]





Psalm 5:3 ... My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.

Psalm 59:16 ... But I will sing of thy power; yea, I will sing aloud of thy mercy in the morning: for thou hast been my defence and refuge in the day of my trouble.

Psalm 88:13 ... But unto thee have I cried, O Lord; and in the morning shall my prayer prevent thee.

Psalm 143:8 ... Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee.

Lamentations 3:22-23 ...  It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.  They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.