Monday, September 14, 2015

Christ's Sword


Between me and my world, Christ's sword may pierce with its remorseless edge. He separates me   from old sinful habits,   from old sinful employments,  from old sinful pleasures,   from old sinful friendships.    


He divides me from the
society in which I was accustomed to move. "Your home is no longer there!" He says. And I go out from the familiar surroundings, into an untrodden region and realm.


Between me and
my nearest and dearest  Christ's sword may pierce pitilessly. Perhaps the loved ones of my own house will have nothing to do with my Redeemer and Lord. Perhaps they see no beauty in Him, that they should desire Him. Then, in the deepest and noblest things, they and I will stand apart a sundering tide rolling between us. And how immeasurably sad that will be!


Between me and
myself Christ's sword is sure to pierce with a blade that does not spare! The I, the self which used to be so vain, so confident, so proud must be slain outright! Its days of pride, pleasure and selfishness must end until I can say, "It is no more I who live  but He, my Prophet, my Priest, my King, who lives in me!" What a change that is! What a martyrdom!



It is painful, this stroke of
Christ's sword. But the old confessor was right: "The nearer the sword; the nearer Heaven!" If I am victim; I am victor too. Smitten down by Jesus, I am not destroyed, but crowned!

[Alexander Smellie]


 photo sword_zpsma5u0lzd.jpg




Matthew 10:34 ...  Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.


Psalm 149:6 ...  Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two-edged sword in their hand;


Hebrews 4:12 ... For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.❤