Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Motive to Love Jesus

What shall I say to advance Jesus in your esteem, that you might love him?  Is he not a 'comprehensive' good?  Eminently all?  There is no goodness in the creature, but it is formally, or virtually, in Jesus.  Is there wisdom in the creature?  There is more in Jesus.  Is there beauty or power in the creature?  There is much more in Jesus.

Jesus is "full of grace and truth" (John 1:14). This is the One whom I beg you to love. This is he who is altogether lovely and desirable. Consider now, I plead with you: can you ever imagine a better offer than Jesus? Can you find a better match for your soul? Can you say all this, the one half of this, any one of all these things, concerning the objects you have loved previous to Jesus?  

Oh then say, 'I never understood the loveliness of Christ before this!' How has sin fooled me! How has the world bewitched me! And how has my foolish wicked heart deceived me, that I have lavished my love upon the creature, and sin, when there was a Christ to love! Such a Christ to love! Such a good as is not to be found in all the world!  Now he alone shall have my love, my heart, my all!



[Thomas Doolittle]

 photo worship_zpse3jpf3ja.jpg



Song of Solomon 5:16 ... His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem.


Colossians 1:19-20 ... For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;  And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.


Colossians 2:9-10 ...  For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:❤