Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Godly Men Weep

We cannot have too low an opinion of ourselves; or too high an opinion of Christ.Godly men weep over the evils which are found in themselves, such as error, ignorance, prejudice, pride, self-righteousness, worldliness, levity, unloving tempers and dispositions, censoriousness, envy, sinful anger, hatred, a proneness to remember wrongs, to indulge complaints, to forget mercies.

There is
no plague like the plague of an evil heart!

There is
no misery like the wretchedness of  'conscious vileness'. 

There are
no sighs so long and so deep-drawn as those caused by indwelling sin. Though the righteous shall not weep always, yet they may weep bitterly.

[William S. Plumer]


 
 






Romans 7:24 ... O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?


Job 42:6 ... Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.


Isaiah 6:5 ... Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the
Lord of hosts.


Luke 5:8 ... When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord.


Matthew 26:75 ... And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly.❤