Thursday, December 17, 2015

An Elastic Promise

It has been spoken of as an elastic promise. The word "sufficient" may not sound very great, but it stretches according to a man's necessity.     A Christian's need may be great today--and the word "sufficient" reaches it.    It may be ten times as great tomorrow but the word "sufficient" reaches it still.   The grace is still sufficient for the greater need as for the lesser.

The promise shows also that not until we are weak does the Lord bestow His strength. We may be too strong for the Lord to help us. Gideon's army must be brought almost to nothing, before the Lord will use it to overthrow the Midianites. And until we are brought low in our own thoughts, until the discipline employed has thoroughly emptied us of all high imaginings as to what we can do, or we can effect, or we can bear, we cannot be strong in the Lord.


When I have learned experimentally that I am a bruised reed,  that I have in myself no power to endure affliction,  that left to myself I shall assuredly rebel against the rod, and murmur against the gracious Hand that holds it, then the Lord draws near by the Spirit, and gives a joy and a peace that nothing can destroy!

[George Everard]






Psalm 34:19 ...  Many are the afflictions of the righteous: but the Lord delivereth him out of them all.





John 1:16 ... And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.



2 Corinthians 12:9-10 ... And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.❤