Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Return Unto Your Rest, O My Soul

To rest in God, is  to be satisfied with Him as our portion, to take Him for our supreme good, and to feel that we have enough and abound while possessing Him though everything else is taken away.


"Give me," says the believer, "the enjoyment of my God and I desire no more. Allow me to feast on heavenly truth and I shall never complain that I am poor. Let worldlings divide the globe among themselves let emmets contend for this little heap of dust; I have God and I ask no more. Come wars and pestilence, come poverty and death you cannot rob me of my portion."


Must it not be substantial rest  to have the infinite God for a portion, to have all the restless desires of the mind composed, to feel no anxious apprehension for the future, to know that if everything which time or death can destroy, were removed the whole of one's portion would remain;  to feel that nothing can injure, nothing impoverish, nothing perplex or disturb?


Ah, give me this portion instead of thrones and kingdoms!


[Edward Griffin]


✞✞



Psalm 116:7 ... Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the Lord hath dealt bountifully with thee.




Psalm 73:25-26 ... Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee.  My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever.


Matthew 11:28 ... Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.❤