Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Hearing God

Once there was a man who dared God to speak.

“Burn the bush like you did for Moses, God and I will follow.
Collapse the walls like you did for Joshua, God and I will fight.
Still the waves like you did on Galilee, God and I will listen.”

And so the man went and sat by a bush, near a wall close to the sea and waited for God to speak.

And God heard the man , so God answered.

He sent fire, not for the bush… but for a church.
He brought down a wall, not of brick… but of sin.
He stilled a storm, not of the sea… but of a soul.

And God waited for the man to respond.
And he waited…
And waited…
And waited…

But because the man was looking at bushes, not hearts; bricks, not lives; seas and not souls, he decided that God had done nothing.

Finally he looked at God and asked, “Have you lost your power?”

And God looked at him and said, “Have you lost your hearing?”

[Excerpt from: A Gentle Thunder; Hearing God through the Storm by Max Lucado]




And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; but the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake: And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. 1 Kings 19:11-12


Oh that my people had hearkened unto me, and Israel had walked in my ways! Psalm 81:13


He that is of God heareth God's words: John 8:47


For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. Matthew 7:8


Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. Revelation 3:20 ♥