Saturday, April 11, 2015

Names!

O there is a great difference between the names of the saints and the names of the wicked!

The saints are called godly, from God;  Christians, from Christ;  spiritual, from the Spirit; heavenly, from heaven, because their citizenship is there, because their Head is there, and they be heirs of heaven.

But the wicked are called  devilish, from the devils;  the cursed,from the curses; worldlings, from the world; and sinners, from sin.

The ungodly are called dogs, vipers, swine, thorns, ravening wolves!

But the saints are called jewels, treasures, kings, doves, lilies, heirs of the kingdom of glory!

And hence it is, that some godly men have thought it a greater honor to be a member of Christ than to be a king upon a throne!  Indeed, sirs, a holy heart is better than a great estate!
 
[William Dyer]
 
 
 ✞✞✞
 
 
 
Proverbs 22:1 ... A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold.
 
 
 
Isaiah 62:2 ... And the Gentiles shall see thy righteousness, and all kings thy glory: and thou shalt be called by a new name, which the mouth of the Lord shall name.
 
 
 
Revelation 3:12 ...  Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.