Monday, September 11, 2017

Toys and Playthings

The only real food of the soul must be of God's own appointing, preparing and communicating.  You can never deceive a hungry child. You may give it a plaything to still its cries. It may serve for a few minutes; but the pains of hunger are not to be removed by a doll. A toy horse will not allay the cravings after the mother's milk.


So it is with babes in grace, a hungry soul cannot feed upon playthings.  Altars, robes, ceremonies, candlesticks, bowings, mutterings, painted windows, intoning priests, and singing men and women, these dolls and wooden horses, these toys and playthings of the religious babyhouse, cannot feed the soul that, like David, cries out after the living God. Christ, the bread of life, the manna that came down from Heaven is the only food of the believing soul.


[J. C. Philpot]


 






1 Peter 2:2 ... As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:



Jeremiah 15:16 ... Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O Lord God of hosts.





Psalm 42:2 ... My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?




John 6:51 ...  am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.❤