Wednesday, March 21, 2018

If I Was Qualified ...

Indeed, I believe that the most lively graces, and the most solid comfort are known among the Lord's poor and unlearned people. Every outward advantage has a tendency to nourish the pride of the human heart and requires a proportionate knowledge of the deceitful self and the evil of sin to counter-balance them.


It is no less difficult to have great abilities, than great riches without trusting in them. 1 Timothy 6:17


If I was qualified to search out the best Christian in the kingdom, I would not expect to find him either in a seminary or in a pulpit. I would give the palm to that person who had the lowest thoughts of himself, and the most admiring and loving thoughts of the Savior. And perhaps this person would be some bed-ridden old man or woman or a pauper in a parish workhouse.


The Lord's regard to us, is not to be measured by our theological knowledge but rather by the simplicity of our dependence, and the uniform tenor of our obedience to His will.


[John Newton]



Isaiah 66:2 ... For all those things hath mine hand made, and all those things have been, saith the Lord: but to this man will I look, even to him that is poor and of a contrite spirit, and trembleth at my word.


James 4:10 ...  Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.❤