Monday, July 26, 2021

Pray!!

Meditation and Prayer resemble the spies that went to search the land of Canaan: the one views, and the other cuts down; and both bring home a taste of the fairest and sweetest fruits of heaven. Meditation, like the eye, views our mercies; and Prayer, like the hand, grasps those mercies! Or, Meditation is like a land agent, who goes abroad to purchase what we need; and Prayer, like a ship, goes forth and brings in what we desire. 

Lord, it is my misery, that I cannot be so perfect as not to be in need; but it magnifies your mercy that I cannot be so miserable as not to be supplied. Meditation cannot find out a real need but Prayer can obtain suitable comfort. Lord, if mercy is so free, I will labor to know my poverty that I may be enriched with your grace; and yet I will not rest, until you shall do more for me than I am able either to ask or think! Prayer was appointed to convey, The blessings God designs to give; Long as they live should Christians pray, For only while they pray they live.

[Thomas Sherman]

 ✞  ✞   ✞  

Matthew 26:41 ... Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 ... Pray without ceasing.

Philippians 4:6 ...  Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.