Jesus is the spokesman here. He tells of His own death by crucifixion and of the result which will follow. It appears then, that our Lord's power to draw men to Himself lies mainly in His death. There is an attractive power about our Lord's person, and about His life, and about His teaching; but still, the main attractive force lies in His sin-atoning death upon the cross!
Our Lord Jesus Christ died a most shameful death. Sadly, many have come to use the cross as an ornament to display, while others turn the crucifix into an object of idolatry.
But the cross, to speak very plainly, was to the ancients what the gallows is to us an odious instrument of death for the worst of criminals. It was not only painful, but it was also disgraceful and ignominious! It is because of His shameful sacrificial death, that Jesus is able to draw men unto Himself.
On that cruel cross, Prince Emanuel manifests the beauties of His dying love. The crucified Christ has irresistible attractions!
The cross is the grand old story of the incarnate God who loved wicked sinners, and gave Himself to die in their stead, that they might escape Hell and have eternal life through Him.
Whence this astonishing attractiveness of Jesus? It is the force of love; for Jesus is love incarnate. In Him we see one who divested Himself of His divine glory, that He might save guilty rebels.
At length, His dying love compels the ungodly to believe and to adore.
If I were asked the secret of the attractive power of the crucified Savior, I would answer that it is His invincible love! This it is this unique, unrivaled love which draws sinful men to Jesus. The pierced heart of Jesus is the marvelous magnet to draw hearts. By His agonies and death, men's affections are drawn and their hearts are enthralled.
I turn my eyes to Jesus upon the cross, and view the thorn-crown, and the sacred head now wounded, and the eyes that were red with weeping, and the hands nailed fast to the wood, and the feet dripping with gore. I behold the Lord of life and glory suffering the most intensified pain and death; and when I remember that this shameful death was endured out of love to me, I am lost in wonder! His wounds distilled the richest balm that ever healed a sinner's wound!
[Charles H. Spurgeon]
John 12:32-33 ... And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. This he said, signifying what death he should die.
✫❤•°*”˜˜”*°•❤✫...•°*”˜˜”*°•.❤✫...•°*”˜˜”*°•.❤✫